Samstag, 7. September 2013

Veronika decides to die - Paulo Coelho

This was the first book written by Paulo Coelho that I read and now I can finally understand why everyone loves his books.

Veronika is 24 years old, has got caring parents, a lot of friends and lovers but still she decides to die. As her suicide doesn't work out as planned she has to cope with spending more time on this earth she so desperately wanted to leave.

Although it only consists of 190 pages, this book felt huge, full of emotions and life. It was terrible but also beautiful, telling the reader about despair and complete peace at the same time.

The style really is poetic, not pretend-poetic, but it possesses a kind of unintended beauty that you simply have to love it and I'm glad that finally I found another author who can do that. Trying hard to be poetic is the worst you can do when writing a book.
The characters also were unique and very different from everything I ever read before and I'm sure that I will read Coelho's other books soon.

You definitely have to know one of his books, I just think it's a pity that I can't read them in their original language because in my opinion there is always something missing in any translation.

Read it!

Rating:


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen