Freitag, 13. September 2013

The catcher in the rye - J. D. Salinger

This book is another one from the list of books that you have to read before you die. It is a classic, first published in 1951.

And as I've already written, I'm quite afraid of reading classics because I might not see what others see in it.

But first about the contents: 16-year-old Holden Caulfield has reached a point in life where you have to decide who you want to be, but he doesn't seem to want to decide. He fails the fourth school he's gone to and now he doesn't know which way to follow.

The character is very unique, he likes swearing but still he is thinking about life in a way that I've never read about before. Holden questions things like the cinema or concerts and has a very different opinion about the people he gets to know.

As a reader you don't really get a deep insight into his feelings, sometimes it was really hard for me to understand his emotions because it is up to you to interpret.
On the one hand I do like to search for a meaning, but I was just too tempted to just read the book and enjoy the humor. You really can do that because the style is very enjoyable but I want to get more out of it and I will probably have to read it again.

That means that I will definitely buy "The catcher in the rye" for myself in the future after returning it to the library.

Rating:


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen