Montag, 19. August 2013

The Color Purple- Alice Walker

Whenever I read a classic it's difficult to do that without feeling pressured to like it or desperately searching for the deeper meaning that other people can see.

But with this book, I didn't look up any reviews before reading it and that helped to make it a special experience for me. The style is so unique and special, simple but still emotional that I just couldn't stop reading.
I laughed, I cried and when I finished it I was sad to leave the characters because it really felt like I knew them especially the protagonist.
It definitely is one the classics that you can read through in one go as it was first published in 1983 and you won't have to think yourself back into the 18th century.

So if you want to read this book, do it without knowing any more than this: It's about a colored woman trying to get through her life and therefore writing to God about what she suffers. During the course of her life she slowly learns that she is worth living in spite of everything other people tell her.

And in case you have read the book, I would love to know what your experience was.

Anni, trying not to be afraid of classics.





I love my tenth anniversary edition as it has got light purple pages and although I found it in an Oxfam book shop it's not worn at all.

My rating:

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen